Sunday, August 28, 2011

How I Survived Hurricane Irene...In Brooklyn

Growing up in  Wilmington, NC, I am much more comfortable with hurricanes than any other natural disaster (don't believe me, just ask friends about my mini-panic attack re: east coast earthquake).  I still get an attitude just thinking about the NYC blizzard of 2010 and whatever winter 2011 has in store.  So, when the forecast predicted Hurricane Irene would come directly for NYC (after hitting my good 'ole hometown) I was none the worried.  Well I won't say I wasn't worried, because I do know the effects even a tropical storm can bring; I was optimistically cautious about any inconvenience I might experience.  If I was in North Carolina, my post would be filled with survival tips, kits, and serious discussion.  But I live in Brooklyn, alone, on the 5th floor, and well, it's just different preparing for a hurricane.  Here is how I survived...

Single Girls Survival Kit- In Brooklyn
What do we have here?  Well everything you need to survive a hurricane in Brooklyn of course! 2 fashionably orange candles- not only do they help me see in the dark, they match my accent wall and lamps!  You will also need a lighter for the candles, which moonlights as a hot commodity in this neighborhood.  Lastly, and interestingly enough, I forgot to purchase a flashlight.  Then I remembered, hey, I have my finger light from the Beyonce show at Roseland Ballroom! Granted, it is hella small, and should only to be used for waiving your hands in the air (like you just don't care)- but, it is also quite the flashlight when options are limited.  After being scolded by friends with my rationale, I trekked out in the rain en route to find a "real" flashlight.  Word to the wise- never try to get a flashlight the same day a hurricane is coming to town.  Needless to say, like always, Bey never let's me down.





I must thank Irene for being the inspiration to finally stock my refrigerator after living in this apartment for almost 9 months.  Though I'm not really sure how hurricane-ready my groceries were.  What you don't see are the frozen onion rings and ice cream I have in the freezer.  Don't think they would fare too well if the power went out. But since it didn't, I can confirm that onion rings baked in the oven are just as good as deep frying them! Well, only the frozen kind (I mean, it's obvious they were already fried before being frozen!).  I'm sure to some of you, my food situation is still dire, but I feel like I can eat for weeks I tell ya! I definitely text my friend and told her had it not been for Irene, my fridge would only have liquor and left-over Chinese.  Seriously- you should have seen it last week.   

Yes, bread and cereal are essentials; but I want you to pay attention to the bottle to the left.  This is my new favorite drink, Malibu Black (do yo think they will give me an endorsement deal if I fwd them this post!?).  Anyway, this drink also serves multiple purposes.  It can cheer you up if you get cabin fever (though I'm not sure how you get cabin fever in 2 DAYS...WITH POWER- New Yorkers ;-).  But, this can be used in conjunction with the above lighter to make a fire, or since I'm in Brooklyn- MORE FIYAH! (I know that was corny, but I had to!!) .  And there you have it, how I survived. 

Uh Oh, NuNu is staring at me: of course I couldn't have made it without my NuNu Ninja Kitty (if you call us fighting and me putting him in the cage for biting my toe making it.).  He sure protected me alright...


On a serious note: At the time I'm writing this post, the storm isn't over, millions are without power, and 9 people have lost their lives as a result of Irene, so I do want to send my thoughts and prayers to those affected. 

2 comments:

FoodieMouth said...

That refrigerator looks pretty stocked to me, Homie.

If the power would have gone? Jet to kitchen, grab spoon, crack freezer open, get ice cream out, pop a squat next to those orange candles and...enjoy, enjoy! Rest in peace FROZEN onion rings! FROZEN onion rings, rest in peace!

My Coconut Bacardi and your Malibu Black are now HOMIES. Irene set it off.

MORE FIYAH! Was actually funny! LOL!

Yes, thoughts and prayers to those effected :-(

Thickfefe said...

Great 'survival' story!! I'm glad to know Ninja kitty provided great security & that the ice cream didn't suffer a meltdown...you either! Prayers to those that bore the brunt of the weather. Glad you're safe. Now that the storm's passed, you can ship that Malibu to Cleveland;please & thank you!