Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Act Like Beyonce, Think Like Steve Harvey? Don't Try This at Home.

Prelude: It never crossed my mind that I would actually turn 30 one day. And still be single.  And even worse, be the cliche single woman with a cat!?  I didn't even know it was a cliche to have a cat!  I literally ran into my NuNu at the pet store by chance because his bitch of a mother abandoned him and his siblings.  It wasn't until I was introduced to a couple for Halloween and the boyfriend was dressed as the "Cat Lady," that I realized I was a living Halloween costume.  Who knew!? Yeah, NuNu isn't the only one I have to thank for my relationship demise.

At first glance, we thanked my beloved Beyonce for making it cool to be "Single Ladies."  That is, until you listen the lyrics.  Basically she's telling us to put a ring on it!  Damn Bey, we all can't get a Jay-Z (but if Memphis Bleek is anywhere in your vicinity, please send him my way).  Then Steve Harvey came out with his book "Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man."  Oh boy.  He really had us going.  I will not deny the book was a success.  However, I am going to go out on a limb and say it single-handedly destroyed the future of relationships.  Sure- there were some good points, but ladies, be honest: didn't you read it thinking, Tell me something I don't know

Ok seriously, Beyonce and Steve Harvey specifically are not the reason why relationships don't work.  It's this theory, even a syndrome if you will, of "I know I'm a good catch so you better put a ring on it, but not before dating me for 3 months, having a good job, taking me to meet your mama, blah blah blah."  Don't get me wrong, in time all of these things fall in to place; but there is no formula for it- and one preceding the other does not and will not guarantee you relationship bliss.  All I ask is that you take that hand and put a cranberry and vodka in it, and for the sake of returning to sanity, act like YOU.  For me, it's not working so well (ask any of my friends who are familiar with my dating history), but for you, there is hope!

Disclaimer:  I am Beyonce's #1 stan, and know the "Single Ladies" routine like no other, even having performed it on a dance floor (or 2...or 3).  So, if you even think to think this post is a diss to Beyonce-you will be sued.  As far as Steve Harvey goes, I respect the man's hustle and I'm sure if he read this he would say "She needs to read my book. And get a man." Ironically, he wouldn't be the first.

1 comment:

Soul said...

I'm standing right next to you with my cran and vodka in hand. I read the book and felt the same. The ideas are great and functional, but in some ways will have you single until you're 65. LOL... It's old school rhetoric that doesn't really work for 2010. But, I can't knock his hustle. :-)