Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Karma Chameleon...

I love the Culture Club tune "Karma Chameleon." Although the song had more to do with love than Karma itself, I think the literal version of the title has a powerful message. Have you ever been told you shouldn't say the word "swear" because it is inappropriate or sinful? I think Karma should be high on the list of words to be careful when using as well. Many people say Karma is a bitch; it is anything but. Unlike fate or a higher spiritual being, Karma does not pre-determine one's life experience. It is the end product of an individuals actions throughout their life. In Karma, you ultimately define your life path.

Many use Karma, Fate, and Destiny interchangeably. This is incorrect, and shows how little those who do not understand can pass them off as insignificant words; not the powerful energies I know they are. I will discuss Karma at length, since it is the topic at hand. But first, a quick definitive lesson on the others. Fate is the order of events that are planned and cannot be changed. They are not determined by an individual, rather a high power or spiritual being. Destiny is a direction towards a given ending. The end result is something that was guided by the individual. It can be seen in advance, given the guided direction is followed, and can change at any time if one wants their destiny to go in a different direction. Destiny cannot be forced; to force it would make it Fate.

The word is used so loosely, but do you truly know what it means to experience Karma? Karma is defined as the sum of all that an individual has done, is currently doing and will do...Thus making one responsible for one's own life, and the pain in others. This definition is precisely what each individual on this earth will experience, whether they willingly believe in Karma or not. It does not discriminate according to your age, race, sex, gender, or religious belief. It has no timeline or deadline; karma can happen in an instant, a moment, or the rest of a lifetime. Yet, it does not offer the same conclusion for similar circumstances. For instance, different people who commit the same crime or offense may not necessarily experience the same Karma. Remember, Karma is the sum of all the actions that has brought that person to the present day. For one, their Karma may be jail time, for another it may be jail time and a lifetime of bad fortune. Do not be mistaken; not all Karma is bad. Unfortunate events happen to everyone in life, but those events are not automatically Karma itself. How one handles the events may determine their Karma.

This philosophy can be (and should be-in my opinion) applied to the world in general: politics, consumerism, socio-economics, etc. It has always been my experience that, as a society, we spend so much time focusing on the lives of others that we stray from living our own lives to its' full potential. If everyone applies even half of this ideal [of being responsible for one's own life], and not how someone else chooses to live, I foresee, at a minimum, less classism, racism, religiocentrism, etc. We have let outside influences dictate who we are. Of course you need laws, a government, and justices to keep order in a society where order is a way of life. However, I believe if we consciously reminded ourselves daily- I am the sum of all that I do, am currently doing and will do...thus making me responsible for my own life, and the pain in others; voting on whether its legal to love someone no matter who they are; or determining what a woman can & cannot do with her body; or contemplating that the Black voting rights act will technically expire August 6, 2007 , would no longer be a decision for majority rule.

The phrase Karma Chameleon interests me because I understand that Karma does come in infinite forms. True believers in Karma never wait for it to happen because Karma wears no watch. The beauty of Karma is that those who believe can experience life without becoming consumed in their troubles or triumphs. Knowing that Karma will happen is conclusion enough in any situation. Sure, I hurt, cry, get angry, laugh, love; all of the emotions that come with being a human being. But, if I did not believe in the true energy of Karma, my life would be heavy with the burden of wanting tangible closure to experiences only Karma can finalize. I am content knowing that I am living my life for me, and whatever happens to me-good or bad- is a result of what I have done and no one else.

It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles.
Then the victory is yours.
It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Buddha

No comments: