Sunday, October 10, 2010

Going in Circles

In light of the recent bias attacks that have taken place in NJ/NY (and I'm sure less publicized communities around the world), I feel compelled to write.  However, I've written about this before and it's like deja-freaking-vu.  I have to take a different direction this time around.  Instead of making this post focused on religion or sexual orientation, I'm going to speak in terms that everyone can relate too.  After all, you may not be a bible beater or a gay-basher [I know these words are harsh; so is beating up innocent men & women because of who they love], but you are most certainly guilty of less offenses with the same effect. Denial.

It's human to be judgemental.  The problem? We prioritize judgement, and without fail, our own pitfalls always make it to the bottom of the list- giving room to verbal assault against everything and everyone that doesn't fit into what we individually or collectively think is right and just.  For instance, I can speak until I'm blue in the face about one's irresponsibility, despite the fact that I went to Miami for vacation rather than pay all of my bills.  What makes one's irresponsibility more important than mine or yours?  Denial that our life is not perfect, or even close to it.

People are different.  That's the way the world was made.  There is nothing we can do about it.  Paying your bills, taking care of your family, being a responsible citizen, contributing to the economy, and constantly CONSTANTLY seeking self-enlightenment is something you have direct control over, and which deserves your unequivocal judgement.

I don't know guys, I'm just spent about this issue.  It's so exhausting.  It's like teaching 12th graders their ABCs. YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS ALREADY.  Putting other people down to validate your own shortcomings is so blatantly obvious, it's nauseating.

I had intentions of making this a long-winded  philosophical post, but it's like going in circles.  Teaching grown people how to behave like real adults is futile when they can't get out of their own way.

3 comments:

Fallible Sage said...

Damn straight! Great post.

Michelle said...

Word! People need to stop hating.

Meow said...

I also want to add that your thoughts are very well articulated. This is a great blog with the right mix of humor, intelligence, and sentiment. Keep up the blog!